HM Prison & Probation Service
Specialist Production Instructor (Spi): Textiles (Garment Manufacture) – Hmp Pentonville Job Brief
We have a vacancy of Specialist Production Instructor (Spi): Textiles (Garment Manufacture) – Hmp Pentonville in our company, HM Prison & Probation Service. This vacancy is based in North London N7. Please go through the job detail mentioned below.
Position Title: Specialist Production Instructor (Spi): Textiles (Garment Manufacture) – Hmp Pentonville Job
Company: HM Prison & Probation Service
Work Type: Full Time
City of work: North London N7
Last Date to Apply:
URL Expiry: 2023-03-30
Posted on: https://vacanciesineu.com
Specialist Production Instructor (Spi): Textiles (Garment Manufacture) – Hmp Pentonville Job Detail
Type of role
Number of jobs available
About the job
Things you need to know
Apply and further information
About the job
We encourage applications from people from all backgrounds and aim to have a workforce that represents the wider society that we serve. We pride ourselves on being an employer of choice. We champion diversity, inclusion and wellbeing and aim to create a workplace where everyone feels valued and a sense of belonging. To find out more about how we do this visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ministry-of-justice/about/equality-and-diversity.
Textiles items are not the only things you will manufacture in this life-changing role.
Leading a team of prisoners working in our Textile workshop you will develop their skills and confidence, and possibly assess accredited vocational qualifications.
We will rely on you and your team to ensure our Textile products are manufactured to the highest standards, but the work you do with prisoners will have the longest lasting impact – and the most unique challenges. You will set tasks to match their ability, while ensuring safety and production is maintained at all times.
Along the way, you could play a part in innovating products for use in a custodial setting or launching a new range for another government department. You will certainty discover potential for rewarding development of your career.
As well as knowledge and skills spanning Textile production techniques, you will need strong communication and influencing skills and a caring, resilient approach.
Our Textiles Industry has 73 workshops across the estate with employment places for 2275 prisoners.
Overview of the job
This is a non-operational instructional job in an establishment.
The job holder will be responsible for providing supervision, knowledge and skills to prisoners in a specialist workshop so they can improve their employment prospects on release with a view to reducing reoffending. The job holder will ensure that all services are provided to a high standard and that security and control is maintained at all times. The job holder will be able to teach prisoners towards achieving nationally recognised qualifications and be supported by external organisations such as local colleges.
This job description is not for use by job holders in basic assembly/packing workshops, instead Production Instructor – Enterprises should be used. However, on an exceptional short term basis job holders can supervise prisoners in more basic workshops.
This is a non-operational job in an establishment with no line management responsibilities.
Responsibilities, Activities and Duties
The job holder will be required to carry out the following responsibilities, activities and duties.
- participate in the selection process of prisoners for the workshop/area of work.
- Induct prisoners to the workshop/area of work and train them in aspects such as health and safety, Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH), machinery and tools usage.
- Provide support for prisoners where required; tailor learning and training requirements to individual needs.
- Set work schedules and manage targets/quality standards, maintaining delivery of contractual arrangements.
- Assess and evaluate skills of prisoners up to national qualification standards.
- Supervise and maintain discipline of prisoners within workshop/area of work, responsible for performance, motivation, discipline, appraisal and development of prisoners.
- Maintain regular communications via radio net in accordance with Local Security Strategy (LSS).
- Open and complete Assessment Care in Custody and Teamwork (ACCT) forms, Violence Reduction Incident Reports (VRIR) and Security Information Reports (SIRs) when required and contribute to Incentive Earned Privileges (IEP) reports.
- Will conduct a metal detector scan or rub down search of prisoners attending and leaving their own workshops.
- Provide quality assurance against product specification.
- Log attendance and approve prisoner hours worked and wages including recording piece work where appropriate.
- Carry out fabric and tool checks of workshops and maintain security of areas, logging any tool/equipment faults. Undertake planned maintenance programme on machinery.
- Contribute to prisoner reports including parole and sentence planning.
- Complete regime monitoring information and update prisoner training records.
- Contribute to Health and Safety risk assessments relating to the workshop/work of area and specialist areas.
- Request materials and estimate usage in order to meet work targets.
- Initiate product development reviews to maintain workshop/area of work output levels, and to provide variety of work and experience for prisoners.
- Participate in self-audit and in achieving Service Delivery Indicators (SDIs).
- Complete administration activities to support the smooth running of the workshop.
The duties/responsibilities listed above describe the post as it is at present and is not intended to be exhaustive. The job holder is expected to accept reasonable alterations and additional tasks of a similar level that be necessary. Significant adjustments require re-examination under the Job Evaluation Scheme and shall be discussed in the first instance with the job holder.
An ability to fulfil all spoken aspects of the role with confidence through the medium of English or (where specified in Wales) Welsh.
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Managing a Quality Service
- Making Effective Decisions
- Working Together
- Communicating and Influencing
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Currently hold or be prepared to work towards Level 3 or equivalent in Textiles related subject
- Should have experience in using industrial standard machinery and workshop health and safety legislation.
- Access to learning and development
- A working environment that supports a range of flexible working options to enhance your work life balance
- A working culture which encourages inclusion and diversity
- A Civil Service pension with an average employer contribution of 27%
- Annual Leave
- Public Holidays
- Season Ticket Advance
For more information about the recruitment process, benefits and allowances and answers to general queries, please click the below link which will direct you to our Candidate Information Page.
Things you need to know
Selection process details
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
This job is broadly open to the following groups:
- UK nationals
- nationals of Commonwealth countries who have the right to work in the UK
- nationals of the Republic of Ireland
- nationals from the EU, EEA or Switzerland with settled or pre-settled status or who apply for either status by the deadline of the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS)
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals working in the Civil Service
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals who have built up the right to work in the Civil Service
- certain family members of the relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals
Further information on nationality requirements
Working for the Civil Service
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission’s recruitment principles.
Apply and further information
Contact point for applicants
Job contact :
Recruitment team :
Something not right?
Report this job to us. https://vacanciesineu.com/report-job/
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (vacanciesineu.com) you saw this job posting.