The Ferdinand-Braun-Institut, Leibniz-Institut für Höchstfrequenztechnik (FBH) is an application-oriented research institute in the fields of high-frequency electronics, photonics and quantum physics. It researches electronic and optical components, modules and systems based on compound semiconductors. These devices are key enablers that address the needs of today’s society in fields like communications, energy, health, and mobility. It covers the entire value chain from design to ready-for-delivery systems.
In our Department Materials Technology we are looking for a research staff member /
PhD student for the development of GaAs-based surface emitting lasers (V(E)CSELs).
(Reference number 29/23)
You will work on the development of GaAs-based VECSELs. Together with our team you will develop designs for such devices, participate in their processing and characterize their electrical and electro-optical performance. You will have contact with partners within joint development projects.
In particular you will
- Develop layer structures and lateral and vertical device layouts for electrically pumped VECSELs
- Simulate and characterize the current transport within the device
- Characterize the electro-optical performance and correlate this with the design and the
- Design and build up a laser with extended cavity from processed VECSEL chips.
- University degree (master’s / diploma) in physics, physical technology, photonics, microsystems technology or electrical engineering (focus on optoelectronics), mechanical engineering, space technology or a comparable degree
- Independent and extremely careful way of working
- Communication and team skills as well as a high degree of initiative
- Very good knowledge of German and English, both written and spoken
- Theoretical knowledge and practical experience in the development and/or use of lasers for scientific or telecommunications applications
- Modern workplace on science campus Adlershof with ideal connections to public transport
- Challenging interdisciplinary activity in the production and development of innovative semiconductor components
- Professional work organization and an experienced team working on V(E)CSEL development
- Networking with partners from industry and research
- Collegial interaction in a family-friendly environment (nursery, children’s party…)
- Individual development and training opportunities
- Access to the Adlershof health network via the “Healthy and Clever” app,
- 30 days of vacation (based on a five-day week), flexible working hours through flexitime, and additional flexidays
- Employment, payment and social benefits according to the collective agreement for the
public sector with capital-forming benefits and company pension offer
The position can be filled at short notice and is initially limited to 3 years. If desired, writing and submitting a PhD thesis on the above topics will be supported.
FBH actively supports the compatibility of family and career. Particular attention is paid to gender equality. The Institute strives to increase the proportion of women in this field. Applications from women are therefore particularly welcome. Handicapped applicants will be given preference if equally qualified.
Have we piqued your interest? Then we look forward to your online application. Please click on “Apply online ” and submit your complete application documents not later than September 28, 2023.
If you have any questions about the scope of the position, please contact Prof. Dr. Markus Weyers (Head Materials Technology Dept.)
Tel.: +49 30 6392 2670, email: markus.weyers(at)fbh-berlin.de .
For questions regarding the application process, please contact Mrs. Aileen Stavenow
Tel.: +49 30 6392 2882, email bewerbung(at)fbh-berlin.de .
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (vacanciesineu.com) you saw this job posting.