The Climate Service Center Germany (GERICS), a scientific organizational entity of the
Helmholtz-Zentrum Hereon, located in Hamburg, invites applications for a Postdoc, in the EU Horizon project “Impetus4Change – Improving near-term climate predictions for social transformation”. The position is available immediately and limited to the 31st of October 2026.
GERICS develops science based prototype products and services in support to government, administration and business in their efforts to adapt to climate change. It builds up a national and international network structure in order to integrate existing competences and knowledge, and to link various actors within the complex area of climate change.
The overarching objective of Impetus4Change is to improve near-term climate information and services at local to regional scales where impacts are most keenly felt and on-the-ground adaptation is implemented. Further, Impetus4Change will strengthen and support the alignment of said services with end-user adaptation planning needs through improved accessibility and usability. Detailed information about the project can be found
The position aims to improve climate information at regional to local scale by applying a convection permitting regional climate model in Europe. It also aims to support and co-design climate services in urban areas making use of the improved as well as existing climate information.
Equal opportunity is an important part of our personnel policy. In principle, the position is also sharable.
- develop, evaluate and analyse regional climate model simulations at convection permitting scale for regions of interest in Europe
- analyse regional climate change impacts on urban areas and their surroundings under past, present and potential future climate conditions with a special focus on the Impetus4Change demonstrator cities (Bergen, Barcelona, Paris, Prague)
- develop, apply and evaluate climate services based on existing and newly created climate information on different spatial and temporal scales
- contribute to stakeholder engagement and co-production in the Impetus4Change demonstrator cities as well as to the dissemination of research results
- collaborate with Impetus4Change project partners, prepare project reports and participate in Impetus4Change project meetings
- publication of research results in peer-reviewed journals
- representing GERICS externally at scientific conferences and meetings
- PhD degree in meteorology, physics, physical geography or related disciplines in natural sciences and Earth science
- excellent experience in regional climate modeling and in conducting and analyzing climate model simulations on high performance computers
- extensive knowledge of programming in Python and working under Linux operating systems
- experience in creating and providing climate data products and climate services
- experience in conducting workshops for researchers and practitioners is desirable
- experience in working in national and international research projects and international environments or communities such as EURO-CORDEX is desirable
- motivation to work in a multi-disciplinary and international environment
- fluency in English (spoken and written)
- German and other European language skills are desirable
- experience in publishing peer-reviewed articles
- additionally, we welcome knowledge on working in the urban context and supporting adaptation processes
Content-related enquiries regarding this position can be directed to
Dr. Claas Teichmann
We offer you
- an exciting and varied job in a research centre with more than 1,100 employees from around 50 nations
- a well connected research campus and best networking opportunities individual opportunities for further training
- individual opportunities for further training
- social benefits according to the collective agreement of the public service and remuneration
- an excellent technical infrastructure and modern workplace equipment
- 6 weeks holiday per year and company holidays between Christmas and New Year’s Day
- very good compatibility private and professional life through offers of mobile and flexible work
- free assistance program for employees (EAP)
- Corporate Benefits
- Office location in the heart of the city of Hamburg in the historic Chilehaus
Severely disabled persons and those equaling severely disabled persons who are equally suitable for the position will be considered preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.
Then we are looking forward to receiving your comprehensive application documents (cover letter, CV, transcripts, certificates etc.) indicating the reference number code no. 2023/KG 6 until 17.05.2023.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (vacanciesineu.com) you saw this job posting.