Royal Zoological Society of Scotland
To assist with the implementation and dissemination of conservation genetics projects, to
agreed standards and under the appropriate guidance and support within the Royal Zoological
Society of Scotland (RZSS) WildGenes team.
This is a fixed term role for a period of 3 years.
Some of the things you’ll do:
- To take responsibility for delivery of conservation genetic projects being run by the
WildGenes team, to include experimental design, analysis, administration and reporting.
- Undertake analyses on a wide variety of genetic datasets, including mitochondrial DNA,
microsatellites and SNPs generated via RADseq, target capture or genome resequencing (where
- To contribute to the dissemination of WildGenes research through the preparation of project
reports and/or manuscripts for submission to peer-reviewed journals.
- Where required, work closely with the research scientists on bioinformatic analyses.
- Assist the Research Scientist(s), in conducting literature reviews, as well as qualitative
and quantitative research.
What we’re looking for:
- Educated to MSc level (or equivalent experience) in a relevant discipline
- At least one publication in a peer-reviewed scientific journal
- Ability to collaborate with a range of external partners including scientific and applied
- Experience of population genetic and genomic data analysis including the use of coding in
R, unix or similar.
- Experience of standard molecular genetic laboratory techniques
What you’ll get in return:
- 37.5hr working week
- 34 days annual leave (pro rata)
- Access to a healthcare plan
- Employer contributory pension scheme
- You will receive a staff membership which will give you (and family/friends) free (and
discounted) entry to both the Highland Wildlife Park and Edinburgh Zoo as well as a number of
other Zoo’s across the UK.
Shortlisting of applications and interviews for this position will take place while the advert
is live; the advert will close once a successful candidate has been found. Interested
candidates are therefore encouraged to submit applications as quickly as possible.
Closing Date: 28 February 2023
Find out more & apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (vacanciesineu.com) you saw this internship posting.