This role manages all aspects of photography production and delivery, supporting Amnesty International’s global campaigns, research and media outputs. It involves the sourcing, commissioning, editing, archiving and dissemination of compelling photography content, while ensuring the safety and wellbeing of contributing individuals and communities are protected at all times. It requires extensive outreach and communication across the organisation’s various international entities, supporting colleagues in their photographic needs and ensuring content is of the highest standard, adheres to our brand guidelines and is in line with our strategic objectives.
Working collaboratively with other teams across the International Secretariate the Photography Officer acts as a guardian of ethical image acquisition and production, ensuring the organisation has the most dynamic and applicable photography materials to support the wider brand and communications objectives.
You are passionate about making human rights change through visual communication. You have exceptional photography production skills and knowledge, an innate interest in contemporary photography, and extensive knowledge of the sensitivities and security concerns involved in documentary photographic practice. You have a solid knowledge of all things copyright and take accuracy and consistency seriously in the exciting world of asset management and the image archive. You can work under pressure, managing a busy priority workload alongside individual reactive projects and requests. While your primary skills are visually led, you’ll also be a strong verbal and written communicator.
- Source and commission photography for use in digital and print outputs
- Brief and advise on photography requirements outlining logistic, budgets and timescales.
- Conduct picture research, negotiate licenses, ensure permissions, and manage agency agreements.
- Edit photos from commissioned projects and coordinating production of photographic materials
- Develop concepts and innovative photographic approaches to campaigning, research, and marketing content
- Undertake photography work as and when required
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Extensive experience of commissioning; production management, risk assessment and informed consent with vulnerable people and communities.
- In-depth knowledge of the acquisition, licensing and rights management of photography content.
- Solid experience of working with photography agencies, picture libraries and freelance photographers.
- A wealth of experience working with Digital Asset Management Systems, captioning, keywording and metadata consistencies in the storage and archiving of photography assets.
- Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop and lightroom, with detailed working knowledge of the retouch and editing of photos
- Campaign experience (desirable).
- Experience of working in a multilingual environment (desirable).
Amnesty International is a global movement of more than 10 million people who campaign for a world where human rights are enjoyed by all. We reach almost every country in the world.
Our aim is simple: an end to human rights abuses. Independent, international and influential, we campaign for justice, fairness, freedom and truth wherever they’re denied. And whether we’re applying pressure through powerful research or direct lobbying, mass demonstrations or online campaigning, we’re all inspired by hope for a better world. One where human rights are respected and protected by everyone, everywhere.
At Amnesty International, we are passionate about what we do and we are proud of our achievements as a movement. To compensate our employees for the critical work they do, we reward them through a combination of an attractive and sector competitive salary and benefits package, high levels of engagement and involvement, and a commitment to employee development.
Benefits include 37 days annual leave (inclusive of public holidays and grace days), pension scheme, employee assistance programme, life assurance and many more benefits designed to suit your own personal lifestyle. All of this, in a professional, engaging environment.
For further information on our benefits, please visit https://www.amnesty.org/en/careers/benefits/
WHAT WE HOPE YOU WILL DO NEXT
If you are talented, passionate about human rights and want to use your skills, knowledge and experience to change the world then we would encourage you to click ‘Apply for this Role’ below.
Freedom, Justice, Equality. Let’s get to work.
N.B. We reserve the right to close a vacancy before the closing date in the event of an overwhelming response or a change in business priorities.**
Amnesty International is committed to creating and sustaining a working environment in which everyone has an equal opportunity to fulfill their potential and we welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community.
How to apply