Within delegated authority, the Logistics Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
• Assists new mission survey/start-up teams with respect to property and inventory control; surveys contingent owned equipment, evaluates requirements, and recommends additions and deletions to Strategic Deployment Stocks of equipment and commodities.
• Assists in consolidating customer service processes to establish a scalable and innovative service management function, integrating Supply Chain Service management principles in Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and practices: a) assists with client outreach programme; b) assists in reviewing and enhancing client satisfaction; c) assists with the review of catalogue of services and development of new services; d) act as the interface between Supply Chain and liaison Office and/or Communication Unit for all new products promotion and informative material publication
• Serves as focal point for coordination, monitoring and expedition of Tier 1 activities, involving extensive liaison with diverse clients to process requests for services.
• Provides contract management support to more senior Supply Officers.
• Verifies funding, bidding, evaluation and certifies invoices with respect to requisitions.
• Acts as primary focal point for the production of field mission cost estimates.
• Undertakes research with respect to the preparation and compilation of the Aviation Safety Annual Report.
• Assists in the execution of technical evaluations for long and short-term contracts.
• Assists Aviation Officers in researching and obtaining data and documents related to Peacekeeping/Observer Missions.
• Provides technical assistance with respect to vehicle insurance and vehicle database operation.
• Maintains liaison with relevant departments and field missions with respect to the status of procurement, delivery, financial and insurance matters.
• Professionalism: Knowledge of policies, practices and regulations on management of supplies, purchasing and logistics and ability to apply them in an organizational environment. Ability to maintain accurate records and prepare reports on a wide variety of data. Knowledge of the Organization’s financial rules and regulations, as well as budgetary, administrative procedures, policies and directives, with respect to specialized tasks in supply management, logistics and transport operations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• Creativity: Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
• Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
High school diploma or equivalent is required.
Job – Specific Qualification
Certification in Project/ Programme Management methodology by an accredited body (e.g. PMP, PGMP, PRINCE2 Foundation or Practitioner, Project Management certification or practitioner level) or equivalent is desirable.
At least seven years of progressively responsible experience in supply chain management, contract administration, logistics or related area is required.
Experience in customer relationship management (CRM) is desirable.
Experience working in the United Nations or similar international organization is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required.
How to apply