- Cirencester (GL7) – Gloucestershire, South West, United Kingdom
- £37,099 – 44,262 per year
- Main Industry:
- Search Education & Training Jobs
- Ad Warrior
- Job ID:
- Posted On:
- 07 September 2023
Lecturer in Agriculture (China)
Location: Cirencester and locations in China including Qingdao Agricultural University and Shandong Agricultural University. Staff should also be willing to teach at the Swindon Campus and overseas locations in collaboration with international partners.
Salary: Grade 8 – A£37,099 – A£44,262 per annum dependent on experience
Hours: Full Time, 35 hours per week
The Royal Agricultural University (RAU) has been at the forefront of agricultural education and a key contributor to the land-based sector for more than 175 years. They pride themselves in combining knowledge and industry connections with an innovative and forward-thinking approach.
RAU are seeking an ambitious individual who is passionate about the opportunities for radical changes in food and farming in the UK and internationally. The main purpose of the role is to teach a number of modules at their academic partners in China such as Qingdao Agricultural University (QAU) and Shandong Agricultural University (SDAU).
The main purpose of the role is to undertake research, knowledge exchange and teaching the discipline of agriculture. The post holder will possess an excellent understanding of the subject area gained from relevant academic and / or professional experience. They will have a proven ability to communicate this knowledge to others, in large and small groups. They will have a well-developed empathy for students and a desire to promote a positive student experience through both face-to-face and online teaching.
The post holder is expected to:
* teach across relevant undergraduate and postgraduate courses. The teaching delivery will include a number of modules in China and UK. This will involve face to face lectures, seminars, tutorials, case studies, project work and marking student assignments.
* have the ability to articulate the subject material in a way that will enable the students to demonstrate an understanding of the subject areas through contextualization and critical analysis of case studies and scenarios in the context of their subject area.
* contribute to the management, administration and coordination of parts of the teaching programme and its development.
* engage in the research and scholarship required to maintain and develop their knowledge of the sector and to contribute towards its future development.
* engage in knowledge exchange activities such as consultancy and/or to support the professional development programmes. This will include establishing collaborations both within and outside the RAU, act as postgraduate supervisor and publish articles in peer-reviewed or professional journals.
All newly appointed academic staff who have not already achieved a relevant teaching qualification for Higher Education or Qualified Teacher Status are expected to study and attain the Post Graduate Certificate in Academic Practice (PGCAP) or equivalent within two years of appointment in the role.
Successful applicants will have specialist expertise in one or more of the following areas: farm business, agroecology, regenerative farming, agricultural technology, digital innovation, precision agriculture, crop or livestock management or farmer-led innovation. Those with practical business or farming experience would be particularly welcomed to impart the authentic real-world experience that is highly valued by students.
You should expect to be resident in China for some of your time during both semesters normally in seven-week blocks. Travel and accommodation expenses for China will be covered including accommodation on campus at the Joint Institute, two round trips per annum, suitable health insurance, visa and other related expenses.
With more than half of their research assessed as ‘world-leading and international in quality’ in the Research Excellence Framework 2021, RAU are the leading specialist agricultural university for research in England. This post will be expected to pursue an ambitious research and / or knowledge exchange programme that aligns with their science-based and practice-centred ‘University without walls’ approach. Applicants will, therefore, need to demonstrate their potential ability to develop an independent programme of research and scholarship.
Exceptional candidates applying for the lectureship position without a PhD, but with a proven academic track record, may be able to enrol on a six-year part-time PhD programme on a topic related to their research interests after satisfactory completion of the probation period.
Requirements – Essential
* Degree in a relevant discipline
* Teaching / HEA qualification or willingness to achieve PG CAP and Fellowship of Higher Education Academy within two years of appointment
* Ability to develop a programme of research and scholarship related to RAU strategic research priorities
* Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to work in a multidisciplinary team and to build effective professional relationships, both within and outside the University
* Ability to engage the interest and enthusiasm of students and inspire them to develop as independent learners
* Generous 30 days annual leave entitlement plus bank holidays (pro rata for part time posts)
* Pension scheme
* Free parking on campus
* Free shuttle bus from campus to Cirencester town centre
* Discounted catering facilities
* Discounted onsite gym
* Free library services
* Employee Assistance programme
* Occupational Health and Counselling services
* Cycle to work scheme
* Electric car scheme (via Tusker)
* Staff development opportunities
If you feel you are a suitable candidate and would like to join the team at the Royal Agricultural University, then please submit an Application Form together with the Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form which can be found on their website.
RAU are an equal opportunities employer and they welcome applications from candidates of all ethnic backgrounds.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (vacanciesineu.com) you saw this job posting.