We are at a pivotal moment: the climate and biodiversity crises are deepening, and inequalities are even more marked in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic. The global investment system has an oversized impact on many of these global challenges We want to make sure that impact is positive. At ShareAction we work with investors, policymakers and individuals to unleash the positive potential of the investment system. We aim to build a world where our financial system serves our planet and its people.
Over 60 per cent of people living in poverty in the UK are in a working household. These low-paid workers – often in insecure jobs – are propping up our economy, both in the UK and globally. As the cost of living crisis bites, even more people will fall into this category. Our Good Work team works with investors to demand more. Together, we target the UK’s largest companies, urging them to provide decent work for all. This means a real Living Wage, secure contracts and fairness in pay.
The job holder will play an important role in the Good Work team to continue our work holding some of the largest UK companies to account for how they treat their workforce. The role will support our work on the real Living Wage and Living Hours accreditation standards. This is a varied role and will help you gain experience in research, campaigning and engaging with a range of stakeholders. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who would like to gain experience working in the charity sector and on topics relating to poverty and employment.
What you’ll do
- You will undertake desk-based research about company, investor and government practices relating to low pay and insecure work
- You will assist the Senior Campaign Officer with the drafting of campaign materials including letters, AGM questions, blogs and investor briefing documents
- You will keep up to date with and record key external developments and research relevant to the campaigns
- You will play a role in organising and delivering webinars, roundtables, and workshops with a range of stakeholders which could include investors, companies, and trade unions;
- You will be supporting the Senior Campaign Officer as appropriate with company, investor and NGO meeting preparation. This will include helping to prepare meeting briefings for investors, attending meetings and writing up notes.
- You will support in maintaining up-to-date records (e.g. of meetings, calls and emails) using our Salesforce system. Training will be provided.
What you’ll bring to the team
- You will have a keen interest in the issues of low pay, insecure work and in-work poverty in the UK, and a willingness to learn how the investment system can be used to influence company behaviour
- You will need good communication skills, both written and verbal
- You will have a keen eye for detail and the ability to communicate complex information in a clear way for others
- You will have strong planning, co-ordination and prioritisation skills, with the ability to undertake varied tasks simultaneously to deadlines
- You will have the ability to work both independently and as part of team
- You will be confident in using a range of office software including Microsoft Word and Excel
- You will have a good understanding of one or more of the following topic areas: Low pay and in-work poverty in the UK; Insecure work; Business and Human Rights; the investment system
What we will do for you
Working with ShareAction will offer you the opportunity to achieve significant personal impact in one of the most respected and exciting organisations in the responsible investment space.
ShareAction seeks to offer all its employees an exceptional working experience with opportunities to develop existing and new skills, applying them in ways that help change the world for the better. You will be challenged but also supported very actively to succeed within a friendly, high performing and highly motivated team
- We will work with you to develop a structured personal development plan for the period of the internship
- Ensure you will be able to shadow the Senior Campaign Officer and Head of Good Work in meetings with investors, FTSE 350 companies and civil society partners
- You will be fully integrated into ShareAction’s wider work and have the opportunity to shadow other teams where of interest
- Near the end of internship, we will support you in applying for any relevant available roles at ShareAction and in the wider civil society space
Contract type: 6 Month Fixed Term, Full-time 35 Hours a week (Some flexibility possible. Please speak to us during the interview process about your preferred working hours and pattern)
Who it reports to: Senior Campaign Officer – Good Work
Salary: £25,500 pro-rata + 8% pension contribution
Deadline for applications: Midnight 31st April.
Interview dates: Week commencing 9th May
ShareAction values and respects all differences in people (seen and unseen) and welcome applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries. We are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities and so if you are not 100 per cent sure that you meet all the requirements but believe you could excel in this role, we encourage you to apply and use the application questions to tell us about your experience and what you hope to bring to this role.
We also actively encourage staff to work in ways that best suit their needs and our flexible working policy outlines many of the options available- such as part-time and term-time working, job sharing, home working and working compressed hours. Please talk to us at the interview about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
Please note that to be considered for this post you must be legally eligible to work in the UK. Due to current restrictions we are unable to hire anyone that isn’t already living in the UK.
Due to our size we are unable to sponsor visas.
How to apply
Please apply online at https://cezanneondemand.intervieweb.it/shareaction/jobs/good-work-project-intern-32442/en/