Birmingham City University
View All Vacancies
Location: Multiple Campuses
£20,972 to £21,851
Posted On: Monday 30 January 2023
Closing Date: Monday 13 February 2023
To be confirmed
The Estates and Facilities department is looking to appoint a Facilities Assistant. The position will be based at the City Centre Campus in Birmingham City Centre. You will operate under a Facilities Supervisor with a professional, flexible, committed and enthusiastic approach toward providing excellent customer service and facilities management support in line with demonstrating the University’s core values.
To be successful in this role you will have some experience of working in a similar customer focused environment and be able to undertake a wide range of tasks whilst working in a team to achieve deadlines and dealing with challenges that may arise. The Facilities Department at the university pride themselves on providing excellent customer service and therefore effective communication with our customers is key to our success through our robust service delivery.
A knowledge of general buildings and repairs would be desirable for this position to support the undertaking of activities as the first response team to reactive jobs across the campus.
Key responsibilities of the position include activities which focus on:
- Provide general front-line soft facilities services generated through the Estates and Facilities Helpdesk allocated jobs and work schedule process. This will include general porterage, first-line repairs and fault reporting, room layouts, light replacements and periodic high level activities.
- Ensure that layout of furniture in teaching spaces, exam rooms and events meet the customer requirements including checking equipment, maintenance, resolving and providing support and solutions to issue’s that may arise
- Deal with frontline repairs including toilet blockages, water leaks, heating and ventilation issues, lighting failures and assist with building incidents or emergencies
- Carry out weekly fire bell tests, checks and record information
- Complete monthly building inspection sheets that reflect health, safety and environmental checks
- Report any repairs and maintenance jobs via the Estates and Facilities Helpdesk portal, follow up on progression and provide feedback to the customers in a timely manner
- Assist with faculty and student events such as Open Days that take place periodically throughout the year that includes some weekends
- Work in partnership and liaise with other key operational staff within Estates and Facilities i.e. Security and Student Union to support customer expectations
You will also need to be able to communicate clearly and concise through email and be familiar with using Microsoft Office such as Outlook. Previous experience working from a Helpdesk generated jobs and from a PDA (Hand Held Device) would be desirable. Knowledge of health, safety, environmental best practice and compliance is essential for this role.
With around 24,000 students from 80 countries, Birmingham City University is a large and diverse place to study. We put students at the heart of everything we do, giving them the best opportunities for future success. The University has an enviable reputation for providing quality, student-focused education in a professional and friendly environment. Our superb courses, state-of-the-art facilities, first-rate staff, and focus on practical skills and professional relevance is producing some of the country’s most employable graduates.
Our staff and student community is defined by our core values, which outline who we are as a University and how we will work with each other. Our core values are that We Creating Opportunity, We Think Differently and We Build Community.
BCU Values underpin how we work in achieving the ambitions set out in our Strategy and Priorities, and are the principles that unite the way we work together and for our students.
The University is committed to internationalism and diversity and welcomes applications from all countries, faiths and backgrounds.
It is each individual successful applicants responsibility to ensure that they have permission to work in the UK. Some applicants may require sponsorship from the University and a visa from UKVI to take up the role if successful. More information on this can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa
Some roles are not capable of sponsorship because they do not meet the UKVI criteria relating to skill and salary level. If you are unsure as to whether you would require sponsorship if successful, or whether the role is capable of sponsorship, please contact us: R[email protected]
Please note on occasions where we receive a large number of applications, we may close the advert ahead of the publicised closing date. If this does happen, we will contact all candidates via email who have started but not yet completed their application, giving 48 hours’ notice. We would therefore advise that you submit your completed application as soon as possible.
At Birmingham City University we are proud to be an equal opportunities employer. All staff are expected to understand and enact the University’s commitment to ensuring equality, diversity and inclusion in our employment practice and in all that we do . This commitment is enshrined in our Core Values and is detailed in our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in Employment Policy. The University values and celebrates the diversity of our staff and students; we welcome people from the many different backgrounds and life experiences that reflect the students and the citizens we serve. We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and actively encourage unique contributions, in particular from under-represented groups in respect of age, disability, sex, gender or gender identity, ethnicity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation or transgender status
Birmingham City University (‘BCU’) is committed to protecting your personal data and being transparent about what we do with your personal data. One of the ways we do this is through our privacy notices. For further information please click here .
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (vacanciesineu.com) you saw this job posting.