We are looking for an enthusiastic and practical person with land management skills to join our
reserve team at Forsinard Flows. They will play a key role in the implementation of our
ambitious conservation management objectives. This is an exciting role that will help us to
deliver our annual habitat and estate management on this iconic RSPB reserve.
The successful candidate needs to have an enthusiasm for peatland and its associated
habitats/species and their conservation. They should have a willingness to learn and be able to
communicate effectively and work both independently and as part of a team. Previous experience
of habitat and estate management would be an advantage; however, this is a developmental post
and appropriate training will be given where necessary.
This post will assist in the practical delivery of peatland restoration, native woodland
reestablishment, and the management of inbye grassland for farmland waders, as well as
maintenance of estate and visitor infrastructure.
What’s the role about?
The successful candidate will be part of the reserve team with key result areas and
responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Habitat management and grounds maintenance to ensure conservation and visitor experience
targets are being met.
- Routine operation, record keeping, servicing and maintenance of machinery and vehicles to
ensure they are operating safely and efficiently.
- Maintenance of buildings and infrastructure to ensure they are operating as required.
- Maintenance of livestock infrastructure and assisting with the welfare of livestock to
ensure we meet all animal welfare and cross compliance legislation.
- Keeping up to date health and safety records to ensure compliance with health and safety
regulations and to enable improvements to be set.
- Being responsible for completing all above tasks in compliance with Health & Safety
policy to minimise risk to the RSPB.
Key contacts and working relationships will include:
- Volunteers – to assist with estate management.
- Contractors – assist with the employment and supervision of contractors including setting
up short contracts following agreed procedures for information exchange.
- Graziers – to ensure that graziers manage their livestock in accordance with RSPB
licences/agreements and that infrastructure is suitable for the grazier and their livestock
- Neighbours and local communities – to maintain contact and good working relations.
- Visitors – to ensure they receive good customer care.
Essential skills, knowledge and experience:
- Servicing and maintaining vehicles, machinery, tools and equipment to agreed standards.
- Machinery and equipment operations
- Practical land management experience and delivering estate management works
Desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Survey and Monitoring / Biological recording electronic data input.
- Livestock management.
- Knowledge/understanding of nature conservation.
- LANTRA or equivalent qualification in tractors, toppers, trailers, chainsaw, brushcutters,
ATV and vehicles.
This is a Permanent, Full-Time role for 37.5 hours per week. We are looking to conduct
interviews for this position on 23/05/2023 and 24/05/2023. For further information please
contact [email protected]
As part of this application process, you will be asked to complete an application form
including evidence on how you meet the skills, knowledge, and experience listed above.
We are committed to developing an inclusive and diverse RSPB, in which everyone
feels supported, valued, and able to be their full selves. To achieve our vision of creating a
world richer in nature, we need more people, and more diverse people, on nature’s side. People
of colour and disabled people are currently underrepresented across the environment, climate,
sustainability, and conservation sector. If you identify as a person of colour and/or disabled,
we are particularly interested in receiving your application. Contact us to discuss any
additional support you may need to complete your application.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of
Offenders Act 1974.
This role is not eligible for UK Visa Sponsorship – the successful applicant will need to have
a pre-existing Right to Work in the UK in order to be offered an employment contract.
Find out more & apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (vacanciesineu.com) you saw this internship posting.