United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
Post Number : BFM 030
Grade : P-5
Parent Sector : Bureau Of Financial Management (BFM)
Duty Station: Paris
Job Family: Finances
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years, renewable
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 22-OCT-2023
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
The post is within the Bureau of Financial Management (BFM), which is responsible for the overall financial planning, monitoring and reporting of the financial activities of the Organization. It further provides strategic advice on all financial management matters, accounting, treasury, budget, financial policies and procedures, as well as ensures adequate internal controls.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief Financial Officer, the incumbent works in close cooperation with all Sections across the Bureau of Financial Management, the Bureaux under the Administration and Management Sector (ADM), as well as the Bureau of Strategic Planning (BSP), the Bureau of Human Resources Management (HRM), and the Bureau of External Relations (for field related issues), and is responsible for:
- Directing and leading the work and staff of the Resource Planning, Monitoring and Reporting Section.
- Overseeing and facilitating/coordinating the biennial resource planning under the Organization’s Integrated Budget Framework (IBF) for all sources of funds.
- Overseeing and facilitating/coordinating the capital expenditure and other long term financial planning, monitoring and reporting in UNESCO.
- Ensuring the monitoring of and reporting on the resource utilization under the IBF, and all constituent sources of funds, including the provision of reports and analytical information to senior management, Governing Bodies, online resources (UNESCO internet site), as well as UN joint initiatives, to support informed decision-making.
- Establishing and updating as needed, all business requirements for the availability and functioning of all systems in support of the above.
- Establishing/managing the appropriate risk mitigation mechanisms to protect the Organization against currency rate movements.
- Formulating policy recommendations to the Chief Financial Officer to support efficient management and reporting of UNESCO’s Budget.
- Preparation of Budget documents and support to the Chief Financial Officer in presentations to Member States on the same.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in economics, business administration or a closely related discipline(s). A first-level university degree in the aforementioned fields, with two years additional of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- Minimum 10 years of progressively responsible relevant professional experience in accounting, finance, oversight or closely related fields, of which preferably 5 years acquired at international level.
- Experience in the implementation of results based-budgeting practices, tools and approaches, including preparation of Program and Budgets, establishment of implementation monitoring systems, and financial reporting practices and tools.
- Experience in managing cross functional teams in a large multicultural organization(s).
Skills and Competencies
- Excellent understanding of results-based management, expert knowledge of risk management and results-based budgeting approaches, tools and principles and their use and application in a public sector context.
- Excellent analytical, drafting and editing skills.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- A strong focus on service-orientation.
- Confident user of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and the internet.
- Excellent written and spoken knowledge of English and good/working knowledge of French.
- Knowledge of ERP systems and tools in support of RBB/RBM.
- Good understanding of the work of UNESCO.
- Knowledge of another official language of UNESCO (Arabic, Chinese, Russian or Spanish).
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
The approximate annual starting salary for this post is 123,434 US $.
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our Guide to Staff Benefits.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
UNESCO recalls that paramount consideration in the appointment of staff members shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity. UNESCO applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. UNESCO is committed to achieving and sustaining equitable and diverse geographical distribution, as well as gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Candidates from non- and under-represented Member States (last update here) are particularly welcome and strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals from minority groups and indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
Apply for job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (vacanciesineu.com) you saw this internship posting.